It can feel like you’ve been left at sea when trying to find a plot of land for your self-build project, but there are some fantastic resources available – sometimes in the most unlikely places! Get searching in as many places as possible to really boost your chances of finding that perfect plot a bit quicker.
Online Plot Search
- Plot Search from Build Store
- Plot Finder from the Home Building & Renovating Show
- Finding Land from the Self Build Portal
- Plot Browser from Self Build & Design Magazine
- Custom Build Homes (also from Build Store) lists current registers, self build developments and a place to register your interest
It is always worth having a go with their newsletters (you can always unsubscribe later!) just to see if they give the kind of advice and support you require.
Also give sites like Rightmove and Zoopla a try – you can draw searches, set up alerts and search for just land. You could also look for run-down buildings and make plans to demolish and rebuild – but this could be expensive so make sure you get lots of information.
There are a few options for non-internet based searches too:
- Sign up for your local council register (or in areas you are looking) for information on local plot availability
- Speak to estate agents – they don’t often get plots, but providing your details means they can get in touch when they do, and can provide great advice too
- Look for local land auctions (the local council can help with this too)
- Ask architects and local surveyors as they may hear about plots before anyone else
- Keep an eye on planning applications in your desired area – they can sometimes be plots for sale rather than planned builds
- Get involved with local community conversations and have a good scout around the area to see if you can spot any plots – sometimes they will be taken before reaching the general public.
Also remember to speak to other people who are completing self-builds if you can, as they will have lots of tips and advice.
The UK’s first Plot Shop has opened recently in Pioneer Square, Bicester (Oxfordshire), and is a fantastic resource when it comes to your self-build project. Following in the footsteps of other countries, the plot shop is effectively a drop-in centre for advice and ideas. It has very close links with local Graven Hill self-build development site in Bicester, but will be able to provide general information and tips.
Good luck with the search!
Found your perfect plot? Future proof your dream home with a Gartec Home Lift! Just call 01296 397100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.